Wednesday 8 February 2012

Ice Cold in Devizes

The view through the London Road Bridge.
It is so cold, that I am suffering from "Blog Writers Block!"   I do not want to go out in the cold and discover interesting little corners in my home town.  I much prefer the warmth of my flat!  I should not complain as it is 1c here, and not the -4c that it is Braunschweig, Basel and Berlin.   I took these photos earlier in week, when I ventured out fully togged up in winter boots, thick coat, hat, scarf and woolly gloves. I really hate the cold!   The photo right shows a typical canal bridge over the K&A canal designed by John Rennie the canal's engineer.  This one is built of stone, as most are towards the Bath end of the canal.  From Devizes onwards the bridges are brick built, and several brickworks were built along the canal to supply bricks for the bridges and locks.   Many of the bridges still show ridge marks low down on the arch walls, marks made by the ropes as the horses pulled the barges through the bridge.  

A word on the titles of these blogs!!  I try to write titles with literary references.  This one alludes to:  "Ice cold in Alex," the famous film made in 1958 from a book by British author Christopher Landon and directed by J. Lee Thompson.
I suppose they wonder where the water has gone!  Ducks on the canal near Devizes Marina.  The marina has mooring for a 100 or so boats, and a covered dry dock for the maintenance of narrowboats.   The steel hull of each boat needs to be "blacked" every three years, in order to prevent rust and stop the boat from taking in water.  When drained of water, it is possible in the dry dock to inspect and paint the hull.

Walkers and dog on the towpath of the London Road section of the K&A canal.   Boats can moor, free of charge,  on the towpath side of a canal for fourteen days.   The narrowboats in the photo above are moored non-towpath side at the foot of resident's gardens.   British Waterways charges a mooring fee to these boat owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment