Thursday 28 February 2013

Coffee Drinking on Market Day.

It was market day again today, with another week gone in a flash.  It's been so cold, that I've hardly left the comfort of my flat, and thus, have had nothing much to write in the blog.  It was warmer today, as the bitter cold wind from Siberia has lessened, and I didn't have to wear my unloved hat.   I wandered through the market place, on my way to the "Black Swan Hotel" for the usual Thursday morning meet up with friends over a coffee.  Only three of us were there, as two others were unwell, one is off enjoying herself  on safari in South Africa, and another was child minding.   We drank coffee and had a short chin wag, and then left the pub early, as it was not the same with just the few of us.  

To the left you can see my coffee, and a view from the back bar of the pub, looking forwards towards the front bar.  Originally I did not like the maroon coloured walls of the bar, but now, with the flowers on the tables and a cosy wood fire burning, my opinion has changed.  Tucked up in a corner, it is mighty warm on a cold winter's day.   


The usual market traders were in town selling their fruit and vegetables, and shouting "come and buy the best in town," to the shoppers as they past by.   Each bowl of veg or fruit costs a £1 at the beginning of the day, but by early afternoon real bargains can be had, when the price falls by half.   A charter for a market to be held in Devizes was granted in the 12th century.


This afternoon at 2pm I went to the cinema with Celia and watched "Hitchcock."   I was not overly enthused, as it was not quite what I expected.  More news on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment